Connecticut rehab underway
I’ve been a little irregular on posting this week because we finally closed on our rehab project on Connecticut Wednesday. It’s been nothing but work since and I wouldn’t have it any other way. This is a part-time project for me and I don’t plan on keeping up this feverish pace for the entire project, but there are so many things to do. As with any project, my inital goals have been security and demo work. Although I’m not 100% satisfied with either, I’m getting close.
Security-wise, I still need to put new doors in to finish securing the property as tightly as I would like, but I took measures with the existing doors to reinforce them in the interm. As for demo work, I have removed all the old paneling in the hallway, the plaster and paneling around the old fireplaces, the drop cielings in the kitchen and stairwell, the moisture damaged drywall in the upper bathroom ceiling, and so many other things. I think I should be finished up with all this work with a few more hours tomorrow.
It’s funny how you plan ahead for these projects, but you never really know how things are going to go until you actually get in there are start working. For instance, I had planned on putting new drywall around the old fireplace in the dining room and around the existing non-functional fireplace in the living room. When I started the demo I changed my plans. As I took off the paneling that was previously in place and chipped at the plaster, I found some great brickwork underneath. I didn’t plan on it, but now there will be exposed brick fireplaces in both rooms. There will be some tuck pointing work and additional cleanup for the bricks, but it will be worth the time. It really sets things off.
The utilities looked good before purchase, but were really a crap shoot in terms of condition. When they were all turned on Thursday, everything went off without a hitch. HVAC, water pressure, water heater… everything is working great. Honestly, I was expecting something to go wrong during that stage, but it looks like we’re in the clear. Things are going a little too smoothly at this point. I’m not complaining though.
The windows are set to be installed in two weeks and the roof should probably be in within the week. I’ve still got prep work to do on the windows and the roof before those get done. I also need to do some minor patch tuckpointing on the exterior walls and chimneys. Once all that gets done, I’ll feel confident that we have cut off all possible entrance points for moisture and we’ll move on to drywall and floors.
Overall, after spending the bulk of the last three days at the property, I am feeling very confident about the project. The area has proven quiet at all times and days of the week. And rain nor shine has opened up any unseen flaws in the property. So far so good.